I have been working on the of my 1948 Chevy. The floor pan cross member on the driver’s side was pitted and thin in places so I thought I’d give making a new one from scratch a try. I made a poster board template to trace onto the sheet metal. There is a step down on the channel so I cut the channel at the two 90* bends up to where it steps down and then I welded them to look like a solid piece. If you ever need to make one, drill the cab mount hole after you cut and shape. It has to line up with the hole in the floor. I had to re- align it. I made a simple dimple tool for the dimple on the cross piece. There two spot welded pieces on the under side I salvaged and welded in.
Attachments
B36D2F9E-F5A2-4F1A-BF83-E1CF5F133032.jpeg (238.49 KB, 118 downloads)
0FC6AD14-ED00-457E-A195-1E87D4C4A219.jpeg (249.58 KB, 118 downloads)
1E06F1D7-275D-4F7F-A26D-DEB755A0FAF2.jpeg (221.76 KB, 117 downloads)
CD519FD8-489E-41EC-BC6B-470D02888250.jpeg (233.58 KB, 117 downloads)


A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin
When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton