Thank You for the feedback, and Thanks to Truckfarm72, as it appears you came out of retirement?
I thought I saw only slingers, and no seals, when I had this thing apart. When I saw signs of oil slinging after my first extended drive i went back to what paperwork I have, and found the Model 40M diagram shows seal number 971W on both input and output shafts, so I thought I must have missed something. I guess I now have permanent rust proofing on my chassis and rear suspension.
Story goes like this: Gentleman I got it from bought it in the early 70's, and when he took it apart for rebuild discovered the double-under thing, where he wanted an overdrive. He rebuilt it as is, but by the time he located and bought an overdrive gearset the project had stalled. So the whole thing went on the shelf. I got the Watson complete, fresh rebuild, with a box of parts about 4 years ago. I swapped out one of the underdrive gearsets for the overdrive and put it in my truck. BUT, I don't yet know which gearset stayed, the 1:20 or 1:49. I know I have direct and the .82 overdrive. I either need a corrected speedometer cable or one of the GPS Apps on my phone to figure that out.
For Eureka Jim, I just pinned a note to my forehead, so pics of the shocks should be coming soon!
Cheers!


'57 GMC, '56 Nash, '61 TravelEze, '67 Ford F350 Daily Driver