Back in the late 50s when I began learning watchmaking one of the first things I discovered was how expensive specialty watch oil is. I couldn't afford even a small jar of it. One of the next things I learned is folks in the know would spray about 1 inch of WD-40 into a little jar (like a pimiento jar) and leave it alone for a week or two (it separates faster in cool weather). What one will get by doing that is two layers...a bottom layer (whitish and full of paraffins, propellants, fillers and various solvents) and a top layer which is nothing but a fine and light oil suitable for use in watch works, typewriters (was popular back then for that), musical instruments, electronic parts like variable resistors and tunable capacitors, guns, sewing machines...whatever. You can see it below. The top layer in that pimiento jar will lubricate possibly 1 million watches. And then in the 60s an older watchmaker explained why people generally don't like WD-40. His explanation? Most people pick up a can and immediately start spraying it, maybe shaking a little from side to side as they do or not shaking at all. Almost nobody mixes the stuff. So all they're spraying out is the junk at the bottom and when that's gone, all they're doing is spraying a fine light oil on things. And if you watch people use WD-40, I believe he was right. Good luck.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end