Hey all,
Am finally getting my 1950 Chevy 3100 running and have a question. This is my first vintage truck and the radiator was replaced by the previous owner with an aluminum radiator and electric fan, and this is my question.
When I turn on the (ignition) key, the radiator fan immediately starts whirling, rather loudly. According to a spectrum analyzer app on my phone its whirling at around 1800 rpm, which seems normal according to the forums posts I reviewed here. However the noise is so loud it rivals the engine noise when I start it up. Is this normal ?
It would seem to me the fan would be wired to be off until the temperature sensor reached say 180-200 degrees and then turn on, sort of along with the thermostat. Now the temp sensor in the engine, a 1960 vintage 261, still uses a liquid I guess it is, mechanism for indicating temperature on the dash gauge. Perhaps this prevented the fan from being relayed switched to only turn on when the engine got hot ?
Any guidance would be appreciated... all my experience is with fan belt driven fans, so learning curve for me on this one :-)
thanks