| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,713 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2018 Posts: 51 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2018 Posts: 51 | I have had my 1948 3100 for about 5 years and finally broke down and switched her to 12 volts. I got stranded last year at a local parade and the kids were very disappointed. I feel that going to 12 volts will be better for reliability. I know that if everything is maintained properly the 6 volt system works just fine. My issue is that this is one of a few cars I have and do not use it consistently.
This is an original truck that sat as a decoration for decades in front of a body shop that I rescued. A testament to "Made in the USA", I got it running after sitting for 40yrs with not too much effort (maybe a day or two in my garage).
I will obviously keep every 6 volt part I took off and can switch it back whenever I want.
The faster cranking speed is a big help when she has not been started in a month or two. I try to be a purist and wanted to keep her original but I finally broke down after many disappointments of not being able to get her started. The last time (2 weeks ago) I ran her for 20 minutes and shut her down and then she would not start 15 minutes later....SMH
I do feel a bit guilty... | | | |
Entire Thread
|
switched my '48 to 12 volt
| scenarioL113 | 04/03/2022 2:19 AM | |
| |
| |