I crawled under my truck this week end to get the serial number from the rear end and transmission (it's nice that I don't have to put it on a lift to see things since it's so high!) and do some work on the rear brakes. Anyway, I got the rear end number (RA1026) but couldn't find the transmission number. The American Classic web site says that, for my 49, the rear end code should be "SA" or "SB" for a dually (and it doesn't match anything for the single wheel units either) but obviously that's not what I found (I have a clear picture and have been able to read it with no problem). Also, I couldn't find the SN on the tranny; it wasn't where the shop manual said it should be (the manual shows it on the upper right rear of the tranny for a 4 spd and my tranny looks just like - with the exception of the grease and mud - what's in the book.).

My questions are:

Does anyone know what plant the "RA" code stands for?

Where else on the tranny might I find the serial number?

Thanks in advance.


Jim Blake
Help support the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (www.lls.org) through Team in Training (www.teamintraining.org). Help put a stop to ALL cancers.

My truck: '49 3800 Stakebed/Dump