Bought an electric wiper motor for my 1959 Apache, I really didn't like the knob for the switch and wanted to refit an original knob to the switch. New switch has a round shaft, original vacuum motor switch has a 1/4 inch hex shaft. I had seen pictures where someone cut-off the vacuum switch shaft and used that to convert to the original knob. I didn't want to damage the original vacuum switch so looked for another way. I found at McMaster Carr Part Number 91780A184, Female Threaded Hex Standoff, Aluminum, 1/4" Hex, 3/8" Long, 10-32 Thread. These fit the new switch knob perfectly, but I needed to slightly enlarge the inside to fit over the switch shaft by drilling. I then drilled a hole in the side of the hex to tap for a 6-32 set screw. I slid the coupling on the wiper shaft, screwed the set screw to the shaft and then with a cut-off wheel took off the exposed set screw. I then slid the original knob on and tightened its set screw. Looks a lot better. Pictures below.
Attachments
Before 2.jpg (162.21 KB, 71 downloads)
Dash with Electric Motor Knob
Original Vacuum Switch 2.jpg (222.56 KB, 71 downloads)
Original Vacuum Switch Shaft
Parts 2.jpg (184.22 KB, 70 downloads)
Standoff and 6-32 set screw
Cut-off Wheel 2.jpg (258.71 KB, 70 downloads)
Stand-off installed on Switch Shaft, Set Screw flush with cut-off Wheel
Complete 2.jpg (96.32 KB, 69 downloads)
Original Knob on Electric Wiper Switch


1959 3100
1931 LT