Hey guys, so I'm getting back into trying to get the 261 in my '55 6500 running. But one issue has me scratching my head, when I drained the old oil, I only got 4 qts out of the engine, even though the dipstick read full. I know the proper amount should be 5 qts.

The engine has a '59 block, and the prefix code on the block ends with "L" (6000 series truck engine).

Could it have been re-assembled with different parts? I did some browsing through the forums here and decided to take some measurements:

Dipstick (take these with a grain of salt) from cap to end - 15 11/16", from cap to FULL line - 13 29/32"
Dipstick tube - 7 1/8"
Oil pan, mounting flange to plug (measured from outside) - 8" deep

Any help would be appreciated smile


1949 Chevy 3100 (In the family since new)
1955.5 Chevy 3100 - in the DITY Gallery - (Dad's truck)
1955 Chevy 6500 - in Big Bolts - (Possible parts truck?)
1958 Chevy 3800 w/9 ft bed - in Project Journals - (Current project)
1959 Chevy Spartan 10400 - in Big Bolts