Thank you Lincoln for the info. Always learn from what you post.
What's not clear to me is if you believe the new 12v coil I installed caused the new points to burn.
As background, truck has been sitting for a few years after uncle became ill. I acquired the truck from his widow and my cousins. He had the system switched over to 12v from 6v, and drove it for years afterwards. I do not know what exactly had been done in the 6v->12v conversion, but know my uncle was a man who would have done it "right".
After replacing the complete fuel system I then turned to the ignition system and replaced with new components: plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, points, condenser.....and coil. I replaced the 6v coil he had on the truck with a new 12v coil - the only "change" from what was installed. The truck started right up and idled for 20 minutes or so and it started sputtering and died. I don't know at this point if it died from fuel or spark. At that point it wouldn't start back up. I eventually decided to replace - again, the points and condenser. It was then that I discovered the badly burned points. The plastic on the arm of the points had even melted some and the arm showed signs of being overheated. Thinking that the 12v coil could have burned the points, I reinstalled the 6v coil to see if it would start. After replacing the points, condenser and reinstalling the 6v coil the engine started.
So, I'm wondering if the 6v coil is the correct coil to be using with this system that has been converted from 6v to 12v? Or, is the 12v coil correct, and try it again and see if it burns the points again. Your knowledge here would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by JimboTX; 01/22/2022 3:31 PM. Reason: wording correction