OK ladies and germs this story goes back a long time to just after I got my 38 running. I wanted to put an oil filter on but didn't like the fact that the bypass filters didn't filter most of the oil every trip through the engine. Since the oil distributor valve is just off of the oil pump I reasoned that if I could intercept the oil before it goes through the distributor valve and run it through a filter I could filter much more of the oil, making the filter more effective. I had a friend machine the device you see below. For lack of a better term I'll call it a bypass block. As shown in the pictures it went between the distributor valve and the engine. The oil would enter the bypass block and be directed out of the hole at 3 o'clock to the filter. The oil returning from the filter would enter the block through the hole at 12 o'clock. The oil would then enter the distributor valve and be sent on it's merry way as normal. With this setup in place the engine would show extremely high oil pressure when running, about 45 psi hot. Not knowing a lot about the internal workings of the engine I was concerned I was starving something for oil, causing the high pressure, so I removed the bypass block and to this day it's on a shelf in the garage. I've always wondered if I was running the risk of damaging something by using it or not. My main concern was, was the extra oil pressure causing the squirters to miss the dippers. I don't think so but I'm not sure. The high oil pressure wouldn't damage the mains would it? The limited time I ran it on the engine the valve train was being oiled as I had oil coming out of the rocker holes. Opinions and questions are welcome.
Last edited by Tiny; 12/11/20219:25 PM.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.