Both my trucks had a brake pedal that went to the floor when I got 'em.. the '46 just needed fluid and bled, the '50 needed fluid, but sprung a leak in the front line when I tried to bleed it.

In alot of cases, the systems have just went dry, and a fill 'n bleed will get you stopping again.. but as i've learned from the helpful users here, those old brake systems are not sealed (which is why the fluid vanishes) and it lets in alot of air and moisture when they've been sitting for awhile.

That means that even tho a fill and bleed might give you solid brakes, and even tho the lines may look excellent.. they could be rotting from the inside.

A rotten from the inside line will look and work fine, till one day a big flake of rust stops up one of the cylinders, or blows out the line.

I reccomend replacing all the brake lines, regardless of how good they look.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.