Valves used to have two small holes in them that the serviceman would engage with a valve lapper. It was like an eggbeater, but reversed direction automatically as the handle was turned. I think there may be one of those in my dad's garage down in California. I still have a small tin of valve lapping compound from when I lapped the valves on a Model A engine. The business end was a steel disk with a couple nubs on it that engaged those holes in the valve head. Others used a suction cup to hold the valve. Found a pic.
Attachments
valve grinder.jpg (13.42 KB, 90 downloads)


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.