I recently posted a thread concerning the reinstallation of a 216 manifold with new gaskets. The exhaust manifold gaskets were blown out. Several of you commented with helpful install tips. After removing the fender brace and making more space between the head and the carb and oil filter canister it went on evenly over the 2 guide pins and the rings lined up. Bingo. Success as far as no leaks go. But..........there's more. after I started it.
Upon startup it ran very rough and would not idle. It has never run this rough over the many years I have owned it. It felt like either timing was off or a plug wire was disconnected to me. I may be totally wrong. I don't think the carburetor was at fault. However, now I need to figure out what is causing the problem.
I checked all of the plug wires and connections at the distributor and coil. I'm not aware of changing anything else during the removal and reinstall of the manifolds. I [did not] include the heat deflector that was an (add on) to reduce vapor lock in the summer. I am not referring to the spacer between the intake manifold and the carburetor. I plan to reexamine today and resolve or at least attempt to do so.
I am really curious to see if any of you have some helpful ideas to consider before I as try to diagnose the problem. Thank you for your advice in advance.di