In 2004, I installed my 261 including the 4-speed to the bellhousing. Over the 17 years I've forgotten just about everything. I used a tranny jack then and I think I also used the 1/2 inch alignment pins screwed into the bellhousing because I found them in my garage. One has a slot cut on the end for a screw driver; the other does not.
The first picture shows them (6 1/2" and 2 3/4"). A shorter one is necessary because of a hump that sticks out on the tranny and blocks the removal of a pin that's too long.
My problem is the short pin will be too long to be removed. The 2nd picture shows it hitting that hump long before it can be removed.
The tranny jack was really nice but I'm using a come-along with a 4x4 sticking out both windows this time.
Questions are: Could I have actually used the shorter pin either in the upper holes (screwing into the bellhousing) or the lower holes (screwing into the tranny)? What lengths have you used?
34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.