They're bendix brakes, with the star wheel adjustor on the bottom. They also have a short and a long pad on all 4 wheels. But you called it when you mentioned pumping the brakes. I thought it was just an old truck thing, but I've been pumping those brakes ever since I got this truck almost 10 years ago. Sometimes I feel like I'm at a hootenanny, I'm stomping my foot so much when I come to a stop. It's a relief to know that if I adjust these out this time, maybe that will stop. But I still am thinking that with that adjuster completely closed (not expanding the brake shoes at all) must be why the old pads aren't worn at all, except for about 1 1/2" at the ends of the 4 pads. I still can't believe I forgot to go back and adjust those rears. Even more, I can't believe I've been driving around for years (my daily driver, everywhere) on the front brakes. The short pad on both fronts was worn down from about 3/32" on one end to paper thin on the other.