I pressure washed my engine to be able to see the bolts it was so dirty. Then I pulled the carb and manifolds, generator, fuel pump, side cover and head. This is a Chevy 59 235 truck engine in my 48 Chevy 3600. I bought it knowing it was stuck from 40 years of sitting. After getting the head off I found #4 cylinder was the one that had the rust. All the others were nice and shiny. Condensation or water under the valve cover gasket that deteriated over the many years of sitting. It has .040 over pistons already. I'm thinking ahead a little about a new cam and boring it out to .060, and a head rework so far. Once I get the engine out of the truck and pull the pan and inspect the crankshaft I'll know more what the lower end needs.
Where would you guys buy the engine parts for a job like this. I looked a little but did not fine a whole lot. Jim Carter lists some of the parts but on back order. Is there a better cam than the stock one listed for the 235-261? I have a lot of engine rebuild experience over the years just not recently.
I rebuilt my first car an Olds F85, My Ford 2 ton truck that had a 223 six in it, a 67 283 Camaro, a 66 283 Chevelle. JD gas crawler, a cat D4 power unit. A 1930 JD GP. A Cummins NHC 855 Small cam power unit. So many tractors and small engines that I can't remember them all.

Last edited by lumbersawyer; 04/30/2021 2:32 AM.

1947 3600 Chevy