Washing Ole Red up after the winter and determined that the top cowl vent was leaking; I have a new gasket so figured I'd go ahead and replace it.
Unsurprisingly, there was some rust all the way around the sealing flange, and found a couple in the top (spot welds that were sitting on the rotten gasket).
That all went well, but the new gasket seems to thick? It's very firm as well, and having to apply enough pressure to get it to where it is, causes the adjustment to move. I'm wondering about making a gasket out of rubberized cork or some softer neoprene material? I even set it overnight with two 25 lb bags of #8 shot and a carton of .38/.357 LSWC on it (a good 75 pounds). Didn't even dent the gasket. Perhaps Vaseline might soften it?
Edit: I'll take a look again tomorrow, it occurs to me that the gasket might just need to be chamfered. The lip is sitting on top but really, it should "capture"the seal.
At any rate, some photos of the progress. It's a "driving project" so forgive the appearance.
I should add, I LOVE the look of these cowl vents, always have; and inside I LOVE having levers to throw. So I'm not electrifying it.
Last edited by NorthCoast3800; 04/20/20214:57 AM.
1949 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton - Still Solid. Regular Driver OT Vehicles: 1925 Hudson Brougham Super Six 1950 Chevrolet Styline (Parts) 1952 Canuck Pontiac Sedan Delivery (Well Underway) 1973 F250 4x4 Highboy 1977 F250 4x4 Lowboy