JW51: I just completed the install of the same engine (1951 235) in my 1953 3100 pu. It too was rumored to have been rebuilt . This project is not much different than swapping any other engine in. Bolting up a newly sourced bellhousing, flywheel and new clutch with the motor out of the truck was no problem. Drilling the holes for the front motor mount as outlined above was easy enough as there are detailed instructions in past posts here. I did remove the 4 speed tranny from the truck when pulling the engine which made removal and install of the motor easier. At the time I was engine shopping It was hard to find a good engine for a reasonable price locally. I gambled on this one as it came with an Offenhouser dual carbs and Fenton headers ,which I did not use but added value as sellable parts. My engine had good compression and ran good on my homemade run stand. I had many questions and challenges but the many generous members here will get you thru the rough spots. In summary I have a good running engine that was way cheaper than a rebuild and has hydraulic lifters. Parts swaps are compatible plus I am learning a ton of useful information that will hopefully give me another twenty years of service from an old friend.


1953 3100 Pu