I kept the stock needle and look. I removed all the guts out of the speedometer / odometer. bought a 270 degree sweep electronic motorcycle speedo. 2 inch in diameter. cut off the front. removed the old needle added the original needle flipped upside down. drilled two holes in back of stock speedometer housing and mounted it upside down. fit like a glove. then adjusted the settings to match the output from transmission (6L90).
it was off a little bit at max setting so I bought the taximeter adjustment module for speedometers from a taxi meter repair shop in NY. it was 25 dollars and does the same thing the dakota digital one does for a quarter of the price. I was able to get the settings spot on from 5 miles a hour to 85 (cause that is as fast as I am going with bump steer and the slop) lol only thing you loose is the odometer. I put in a fake one with the year of the truck as the mileage. We have a electronic device we attach to the odb2 port if we want the current odometer and other information not provided by stock gauges. I am all in for less than a 100 for speedo/ taxi adjuster and shipping. I'll dig up my parts list form my purchases and see if I can get the models posed here. maybe find my pictures of build