Everyone to their own of course but rebuilding one of these old Chevys is not cheap these days. Why on earth you would want to take a chance on a bad journal is beyond me. Can it be polished and made to work, I guess it can but just because you can does not mean you should. By the look of that crank, those pits go pretty deep. Cut it clean and you have the best chance of not having trouble. I have a 261 with a .030 crank (rods and mains) in it and I run it to 5800 rpm. Five years of abuse and not a moments problem. Those cranks are made of pretty good material. Couple that with a stock motor that rarely goes over 3800-4000 rpm, going to .030 or further is no problem. I would not hesitate to run one of these cranks at .040 maybe even as far as .060 for a pure stock motor. But like I said, every one to his own.

Last edited by Dragsix; 02/08/2021 11:12 PM.

Mike