My '51 3600 does not have the original crossmember for the rear motor mounts. It was replaced with a cludged crossmember for an automatic transmission. I am putting a 235 with an SM420 back into the truck. The prop shaft is two-piece, open style (no torque tube). I will have to fab up a new rear motor mount crossmember, so I'll set up the motor and bell housing in the frame to get my dimensions. Looking at the intake manifold, and going by what I've read elsewhere on this and other web sites, the carb base should sit at zero degrees. So, am I correct that my 235 should sit flat (parallel to) the frame?
Going a bit further so I don't cause a separate issue, do the motor and trans then create a flat, straight line to the inermediate prop shaft support? I'm using a Dana 60 rear end, so the diff is off-center. The universals in the rear half of the prop shaft will be loaded up both vertically and horizontally, but if the front half of the shaft is flat and straight, should I be concerned about the unloaded universal at the transmission output?