This summer, after 11 years for a total restoration, I finally got my 1958 Chevrolet Apache 3200 Fleetside licensed and on the road.

I assume that it has the original rear 3.90 axle ratio and a Muncie SM319 3 speed transmission. My VIN plate says that the GVWR is 5000 lbs. The owners manual says that it should have come with 7-17.5 tires/wheels, though when I got it, it had 2 non clipped newer 15" wheels on the rear, one 16" clipped front wheel, and one 15" front wheel. I bought 4 matching period 15" clipped wheels, and per a recommendation on this forum, I bought Yokohama RB215 7.00R15 tires, which have a diameter of 29.4", 706 revs per mile. It has a 235 'Frankenstein" motor, 56 car engine, but with mechanical lifters, camshaft unknown. Rebuilt cylinder head, but no upgrades or repairs to the bottom end. Had some rust in cylinder 4 bore, but doesn't appear to be smoking much. Seems to be running OK. Compression is improving the more I run it, presumably as rings start to free up from sitting for a long time outside in it's prior life. Now lives in a nice warm garage.

So I have some questions.
1. My speedometer seems to be reading low. Indicated 40 MPH seems to be 45 MPH per my GPS. It has a white nylon speedometer driven gear. Are there different transmission speedo gears that might give me a more accurate speedometer reading?

2. Are there any synchronizers in this vintage transmission. I learned to drive 55 years ago in my Dad's similar 57 & 59 panel truck. I don't remember having much gear clash going from 3rd to 2nd after rounding a corner for instance. Is this 'normal', and I just need a bit more practice or develop a better technique? My Dad also had a '64 panel and I think it might have even been able to downshift to 1st without coming to a near standstill. Are the newer 3 speed transmission backwards compatible to my 58 bellhousing with a 235 engine?

3. I don't have a tachometer, so not sure what the revs are at 50MPH/80KPH or 60MPH/100KPH, but it seems to be revving pretty high. What maximum real speed is my existing engine/transmission/rear axle/tire size combination comfortable with. Just want to set some expectations, and not destroy the engine. Is there a calculator that would tell me what the engine revs would be at above speeds?

4. The owner's manual suggests 25PSI front, 45PSI rear tire pressure. Yokohama says max load of 2040 lbs at 65PSI, obviously well over my 5000 Lbs GVWR (2040 x 4 = 8160). My truck is likely to never have much of a load in the bed. Any recommendations for proper inflation pressure for these tires. I'm currently using 35 PSI front and rear.

Appreciate any help you folks can offer.

John.
Attachments
IMG_9131.JPG (294.97 KB, 188 downloads)
1958 Apache 3200 Fleetside
33a6f549-8537-48a1-8586-821473e9a618.jpg (141.25 KB, 188 downloads)
IMG_9129.JPG (129.4 KB, 187 downloads)


When God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work�this is a gift of God. He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart. Ecclesiastes 5:19-20