"
Okay so it is all good it is locked in thanks my cables are old but still working ,I use my brake all the time and now I always turn the wheel to nit the curb if I am on a hill after reading the post about how these brakes can let go .
I wonder how many of those parking brake failures were caused by unsuspecting “bolters” installing cables that are not correctly engineered for our trucks. In my research for the proper cables, more venders sell the ill fitting cables, than the ones that actually fit our trucks.
If your cable end looks like the one in the first picture, don’t use it, as there is nothing but clamping pressure stopping that cable sheath from moving, rendering your parking brake useless. In addition, how much clamping force can you put on a plastic sheathed cable with a stamped steel end. IMHO it’s an accident waiting to happen.
The proper cable end has a steel barrel approximately 1-1/2”-2” long, that has two grooves as shown in the second photo. The bolt used to clamp the cable also passes thru to engage one groove, positioning the cable sheath properly and preventing it from moving forward or backwards even if the clamp bolt is loose.
Before you buy replacement cables, make sure of what your buying.