Justin, it's good to see someone your age intrested in the classics rather than a tuner. I understand that you want to just get it going for now, make sure that everything is in good working order. Think safety. I had a '49 yours ago that I just wanted to get going and almost rolled it over in a curve. (the truck had issues, several issues!)
There are many ways to approach your project. You will only be limited by skill and or finances. Take your time. I've been working on mine for a couple of years now and this site has been a valuable resource for me. I even found my truck here!
I personally went with swapping in a 327 / 700r4 combination. The front subspension is from a 79 1/2 ton, the rear is a Chevy II. You will find that there are many ways to build your truck. Here are some things to keep in mind that I've learned along the way:
1. Just because it's advertised as "bolt on" does not neccessarily mean it will bolt right on.
2. Once you establish a budget, multiply that by three.
3. Sometimes the simplest things cause the most aggravation.
4. There is always one bolt that won't cooperate no matter how much WD-40 you use.
These are just a few things I've learned along the way. Good luck with your project.
Robert C.
If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
1950 3600