I have installed electric aux fuel pumps in most of the vehicles I owned prior to the advent of fuel injected engines.
Electric fuel pumps are extremely handy on a long mountain grade on a hot summer day to over come a vapor lock. We had a '65 C20 camper special for 18 years, the electric pump I installed saved the day on many occasions.
In about 1974,75 I was with a friend hunting in the mountains of Idaho. The fuel pump quit, we were in deep do do. I removed the small rubber hoses going to the windshield washers. Then I took a gas can we had for the chain saw, siphnened fuel from the tank into the gas can and taped the can of gas on top of the cab with duct tape. Fuel gravity fed via the washer hose to the carb, we drove the truck 45 miles to town. Of course the truck would only run about 30 mph, then would starve for fuel. Wm.