Hi. 1951 3100 216, no modifications. I checked the level of gear oil in my transmission, and it was very low (I drained it and it only had about 11 oz of the 24 oz capacity (per the shop manual)). Since the shop manual says if you add any gear oil, be sure to use the same kind, and since i had no idea what was last put in there and I know it was over 20 yrs ago, I decided to drain the gear oil and use new.
However, while trying to make sure I had room to tip the bottle (like a dry run), the tiny little plastic cap off the gear-oil bottle dropped into the fill hole.
So my question is, can I use something like diesel fuel to flush the transmission gear oil reservoir, to try to flush out the plastic cap? I noticed some very fine metal shavings in the drained oil, so I'm thinking a flush would be good anyway.
Your thoughts, please?
Edit1: [I just had an idea to blow compressed air into the fill hole to try to blow the plastic cap out of the drain hole. Standby.]
Edit2: [That didn't work.]
Edit3: [I found the cap lying on the driveway. So either the compressed air did work, or the cap simply fell of the bottle and never really fell into the oil reservoir. I AM still curious about the idea of flushing the transmission oil reservoir, though.]
Thanks,
DJ
Last edited by Ol' Red; 09/13/2020 7:59 PM. Reason: Resolution