| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,296 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2020 Posts: 93 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2020 Posts: 93 | The cab came back and it is really rust and paint free. They would only say they use a 4 step process and one step is a mild acid (top secret) formula. If it was not solid metal it is gone now. I could not believe all the pitting and rust through. Bottom line is I am happy with having the cab dipped so I did the rear fenders and hood as well. I will now have major patch panels to weld in as time allows. I will send more pieces over for acid dipping as time and budget allow.
The down side is there is no paint left in the crevices and hard to reach areas. Since every area really had rust I will just have to do my best when I shoot primer. There was no point in painting over rust so I am happy with the results so far.
Sand blasting: I had the frame and all the underside metal parts sand blasted. I stripped off every bolt and dismantled the rear end and front suspension / chassis parts. The sand blasting was great and now I can paint every piece front and back before putting it back together. There was so much unseen rust between the metal pieces I am really glad I tore this Apache completely down. I do understand why most people would not do this but 20 plus years of sitting in a swampy area led to this truck having severe rust problems. I just could not leave all the unseen rust under new paint. Going to be a very long process putting this C20 back together. The frame is off to get powder coated. Not sure I would do this again but powder coating looks good and will really seal the frame up. | | | |
Entire Thread
|
after dipping, then what, advice wanted
| 60ApacheC20 | 06/30/2020 1:12 AM |
Re: after dipping, then what, advice wanted
| klhansen | 06/30/2020 1:26 AM |
Re: after dipping, then what, advice wanted
| Jon G | 06/30/2020 1:54 PM |
Re: after dipping, then what, advice wanted
| 60ApacheC20 | 06/30/2020 11:29 PM |
Re: after dipping, then what, advice wanted
| klhansen | 07/01/2020 12:08 AM |
Re: after dipping, then what, advice wanted
| coilover | 07/01/2020 8:58 AM |
Re: after dipping, then what, advice wanted
| 60ApacheC20 | 07/01/2020 12:34 PM |
Re: after dipping, then what, advice wanted
| 60ApacheC20 | 08/19/2020 10:05 AM |
Re: after dipping, then what, advice wanted
| sstock | 08/20/2020 1:00 AM |
Re: after dipping, then what, advice wanted
| 60ApacheC20 | 08/20/2020 1:16 AM |
Re: after dipping, then what, advice wanted
| MPandC | 08/20/2020 2:29 PM |
Re: after dipping, then what, advice wanted
| 60ApacheC20 | 08/21/2020 1:59 AM |
Re: after dipping, then what, advice wanted
| 60ApacheC20 | 08/21/2020 2:03 AM |
Re: after dipping, then what, advice wanted
| sstock | 08/21/2020 2:20 AM |
Re: after dipping, then what, advice wanted
| 60ApacheC20 | 08/21/2020 2:07 PM |
Re: after dipping, then what, advice wanted
| 60ApacheC20 | 08/22/2020 1:04 AM |
Re: after dipping, then what, advice wanted
| Hambone | 08/22/2020 10:37 AM | |
| |
| |