Been searching for 8 lug wheels for a while and have realized they are not easy to find in the 16x6-1/2 style. I have been told by a friend that I should consider converting to disc brakes up front and getting 5 or 6 lug wheels. In addition, I am probably going to change out the rear end so I have a taller gear. The truck as it sits is a 1963 C20, 292, 4speed on the floor, posi rear end, probably geared really low.

So, if I convert the rear end to a higher gear, will it be 5 or 6 lug? What is the best high gear rear end to look for? I would like to match the front disc brakes to match the rear end, as far as 5 or 6 lug.

Hoping all this makes sense. And, I would probably want to drop the truck about 2-3 inches, just to get a cooler look.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. I hate to throw money into 8-lug wheels if I'm better off converting to disc brakes and going 5 or 6 lug. Hopefully, it will be easier to get 5 or 6 lug wheels.

Thanks for listening and I hope you guys and gals can chime.


1963 C20, 292 (4.8L). 4-speed.