I Guess a different interpretation of "they started with 1001", I thought that meant the first truck was 1002.
Here is a Guru on VCCA, Vintage Chevrolet Club of America. He is called a "ChatMaster" with 25,000 post, 18 year member. He took it the way I did.
"9 = assembled in Norwood, ohio
CK = 1946 1st design. Basically a 1942 design and has no chrome trim.
2nd design had chrome bumpers and grille and some mechanical improvements.
1st design trunks made from Sept 1945 until Nov. 1945. Then GM had a strike and the 2nd design trucks came out after the strike in May of 1946.
11 = assembled in Nov. 1945
2707 = it was the 1706th 1/2 ton truck assembled at that plant (numbers began with 1001)"
The original poster, on that post above, had a "vin" of 9CK11 2707 and a "46" in the middle of his plate.
We now have two examples of a Non compliant Chassis No. The poster and the one I found. With a 56 and a 37. There are others. We can't say "all the research shows" anymore..............Something was going on back then at GM, in war time, that we may never understand. I don't propose changing the Stovebolt Tip. Just want this post to be a beacon.
My post with Military selective service designation 4-F, was a bit of tongue in cheek, fact and guesses about the Number.
In 1942 Chevrolet was using "calander day" dating on axles. So it's not unheard of at GM.
The GM Corporate wording for production numbers is " The end figures start at 1001 at each assembly plant and continue in numerical sequence".
If I "start at" $1001 in my savings account and "continue" to add a dollar a day in numerical sequence, after the first dollar I will have $1002. After the second truck dollar, I will have $1003. This is how us Chatmaster's think. Aye?
Ken,
I'm not sure why any VCCA Guru's would question the 1001 as being the first serial number used...here's two examples taken from the first two Chevrolet books I grabbed.
Mike B
