Got it - my inexperience and trepidation again, keeps me from believing. I went out to the shop, put my largest crescent wrench on the tap, and a 30" pipe for fulcrum, and gradually came to understand that the tap won't snap, and a lot of force is needed to do this.

I kept thinking, when is the tap going to break off? but with quarter turns, backing out, re-oiling with cutting oil, and going again, it slowly worked its way down the hole. It takes patience -my initial reaction is to keep reaming on it to get it done...but...nope, wrong temperament.

I appreciate this tutoring... always learning - and doing is the best way to learn.

Oh, yeah, time for a beer...oh wait...its only 9:20 AM.

Thank you, Two-ton and Phak1.

Tom

Last edited by tom moore; 05/29/2020 1:28 PM.

1946 GMC Project
"Back-in-the-day Restore"
Read the story in the DITY Gallery