High gear.
Low gear.
High gear ratio.
Low gear ratio.
High and Low split rear axle.
What do these terms mean to you?
These phrases are thrown all over the place, and incorrectly in many cases.
This makes discussion awkward.
Example: "My engine screams at 55 MPH. How much higher gear ratio do I need to bring the RPM down?
Answer: You don't need a higher gear ratio. You need a lower gear ratio.
A 3.73 to 1 gear set is a higher ratio, numerically speaking than a 3.55 to 1 gear set.
Where the confusion can come in, is from the discussion of transmission gear nomenclature. First gear is commonly called "low gear", while 4th gear is commonly called "high gear", even though the ratio of these two gears contradict this nomenclature.
The same is true with the High and Low range in a split rear end.
So what is the solution, you ask?
I suggest that when the word "Ratio" is used, make sure that terms "Higher" and "Lower" correspond with the numerical aspect of the term "Ratio."
Carl
I have a pet dog. He is an annoying idiot. I should have named him Peeve.