| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (55shaker, cmayna, walter74, greenie-reddy, Peggy M, Otto Skorzeny, Ponchogl),
186
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,114 Posts1,056,282 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Welcome to the Stovebolt!
This is a 3600 right? A 3/4-ton with 8-lug hubs.
Most the suspension mod parts available are for a 1/2-ton so you may have trouble finding pieces designed for this truck.
I've seen a front axle flipped up on top the springs. It was done on a truck that I doubt was ever driven and the clearence was basically zero. I think I posted a picture here when I saw it as an example of what not to do.
Since you are lowering the truck I doubt you care about the 3/4-ton rating. You might look at buying a dropped 1/2-ton axle and switching to 1/2-ton front spindles and brakes. This approach opens the door to disk brake swap kits which are not available for your current set up.
Another possibility is to have your existing axle dropped. Basically you send it to someone who heats the ends of the axle and stretches the drop longer. I've even heard of people doing it themselves, but I think you'd want to know your stuff before you tried it.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
| |
| |