I did a SBC swap in my 52 using the tubular engine crossmember that everyone sells...my experience was that there was absolutely no way the stock steering box was going to work (with the engine centered) unless I spaced it out 3+" and was willing to unbolt the steering box every time I wanted to change a sparkplug.

I tried rams horns and other low clearance manifolds but I think the biggest problem is that the universal tubular engine mounts sit the engine too low in the frame. But other people have gotten similar setups to work, so maybe its just me.

I ended up going with the CPP power steering kit.

If I were going to do it again I would try to mount the engine an inch or two further forward and as high as possible between the frame rails. That should give you a little more room to try the steering ideas that people here are recommending.