I tried to verify whether it is a 216 or a 235 but so far have not been to get a positive answer checking block and casting numbers.
Looking back thru the spec books online, it appears that unless the 235 was requested, the 216 was the default power plant until '53. I could be wrong but then that is why I am here. Well, one of the reasons anyway.
Only place I haven't checked yet is the number that is under the valve cover. Planning on checking that over the weekend while I am doing plugs, wires, etc... Just need to add a gasket to the list.
On the rim and tire front, I decided to move to a newer rim in a 17". Went with a simple American Racing rim, satin black with 8 holes around the perimeter. For tires went with a Toya AT II 225/65/17.
No pics yet, they should be in by Monday. Tires are Load range D. I would have preferred to go to an E but I still have much to do on it before I will need the heavier tire. These will be fine for dirt and gravel roads and whatever light desert traversing I will be doing.
Next project is already on the board. Cooling system. It is getting warm here in the Sunny Sonoran Desert and that little radiator isn't going to cut the mustard. First is a pressure test and a flush. I noticed that the alternator isn't exactly lined up with the water pump, pulley-wise. Alternator is a wee bit askew which may or may not be causing an issue with the pump. I am sure the off angle can't be good for the water pump bearing. I am sure it sat with the same fluid in the radiator for at least 10 years and not sure if the system has ever been flushed so it couldn't hurt.
Just missed out on a 49 Conventional Cab 2-ton flatbed, 164" wheelbase for $900. Cab was stripped but that was a good thing because that made it clear that the entire cab was rustfree. If I understand the assembly and service manual specs I read, it should have bolted right on my frame. Only difference would have been front fender size. If this is incorrect, someone let me know because I think I may know where another one is.