Here are final (hopefully) thoughts on equalizing dual fuel tank levels:

Routing the return line to the equalizer siphon line as I was planning (first picture below) is probably a bad idea on a carburated engine such as mine
-if I shut off the engine when float bowl valve is open, then the return line would be able to drain via gravity into the tanks
-next time i turn on the engine, a giant bubble will get pumped into the level equalizing line and interrupt the siphon
-this could be solved by running the equalizer from the base of each tank, but I'm worried about low hanging fuel lines and would like to do it through a top pickup tube

Since the return line seems like a less reliable way to keep the siphon line primed I am going to take Kevin's recommendation from a couple posts back and add a selector valve
-with a left-right-both selector valve I hope to normally pump from both tanks simultaneously
-return line will go to just one tank
-if selector valve is on 'both' then the siphon effect should equalize tank levels
-if selector is switched to one tank only, then return line will fill one tank only
-in that case fuel may have to overflow into the other tank via the vent line (second picture)
-i should probably run a fuel sender in each tank

[img]https://imgur.com/um0nmhk[/img]
[img]https://imgur.com/pik8ez4[/img]
Attachments
return-line-on-siphon.png (34.7 KB, 113 downloads)
suction-line-on-siphon.png (29.45 KB, 113 downloads)


'59 Chevy Suburban, NAPCO