Quote
Originally posted by tonys 54 gmc 1/2 ton:
will i need to narrrow a 77 firebird front sub frame?

Is there a link to one that anyone knows of with pictures and imfo?
The advice I got regarding front sheet metal alignment on a clipped car went something like this: Measure the living daylights out of it before taking it apart. Make up a framework out of square tube or angle stock that mounts off the cab and will hold the front sheet metal in position without the front of the frame. Then do the clip swap. Then use the framework to help you put everything back in place.

My truck (a '39-'46) came to me already clipped ('78 camaro), and I'm working on getting the front metal lined back up, and wished I had a framework like that. I think a '39 is narrower than yours, and I think I'll be able to fit my wheels under the fenders, but I won't be able to lower it much, and I'm ordering wheels with custom backspacing to make it work. The Fatman narrowed control arms are something like $700, and I don't want to spend that kind of money if I cna avoid it. Narrowing a clip seems to defeat the purpose of making it easier.

When you're figuring out cost, keep in mind how much it'll cost to rebuild that '77 front end. I've got 40+ hours and several hundred dollars in bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, rotors, a new steering box, flex lines etc etc etc. You might already have the clip, but it might not be the cheapest option.