Hello, I am new to Stovebolt and a newborn when it comes to classic trucks. I don’t have one yet but have narrowed my choices to 1947 - 1965 Chevy and GMC. A couple of issues I am having is determining value? Seems like prices are all over the place and mostly rising but I don’t see these high priced trucks selling. The difference between online values from different sources could be as much as $10,000 for the same truck, same condition. Also, most consignment dealers that I have spoken to have little to no details on the trucks they are selling, same goes for EBay. Sellers post a few pics with little details and expect top dollar. I have also come across some scams. I did come across a 51 3100 with a 1960 235 that was in good condition and price seemed reasonable. The seller did take pics of engine serial numbers, etc but had already taken a deposit.

What’s with all the undercoating? I looked at a 59 Apache with undercoating on the back of the cab which was painted to match the rest of the truck. This truck was born and resided in California. I’ve seen multiple trucks with frames, underbody and gas tanks coated?

Since this would be my 1st truck, I was thinking that I would be better off buying something that was mostly original, period correct. I favor the inline 6 full oil pressure and hydraulic lifters. There seems to be a lot of performance upgrade parts. I did see one with a supercharger in a 54 coupe. There aren’t a lot of trucks in central New York and it seems the greatest availability is in the Midwest and West.

Thanks for listening any advice is appreciated as my search continues.