Just pulled the head off my '49 3600 216 with 46K miles. It seem to run pretty well but huge cloud of smoke until it warmed up. Then just a little smoke. Also no smoke on compression going down hill so I was guessing it need valve seals and maybe a valve job.

The head has cleaned up pretty well and is straight. But the valves look bad. Also some of them are flat and some cupped. Not intake one way and exhaust the other. All were very difficult to clean up and some have pits and they had lots of carbon on the mating surface. So I'm guessing someone put a handful of other brand valves at some point. Pistons had carbon but cylinder walls look great and almost no ridge.

Anyway it looks like I'll need to buy new valves. So my question is where should I buy them? Can I just seat them in with dual grit compound?

Thanks for the help. Larry

Last edited by Peggy M; 07/23/2024 4:57 PM. Reason: added full truck year to help with searches ;)

1949 3600 216 4 speed (completely original)