Assuming we are talking about a below the floor master cylinder, I just removed mine in about 15 minutes on my 52’ 3100 to rebuild it. After cleaning and honing, I decided to replace it due to corrosion in the bore that I could not remove. I don’t think I would have seen the issue with the master cylinder installed. I also can’t fathom performing all the work involved in the rebuild lying on my back. In addition, the back of the master cylinder is only a few inches from the rear transmission crossmember so honing it would be near impossible.

I second Grigg’s suggestion to remove and work on the bench. Your back will thank you
Attachments
2A5E1212-EB9F-4374-A0DB-38DCE390A77F.jpeg (103.97 KB, 148 downloads)


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum