| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Hotrod Lincoln, texas46, Leo, 5 Window 9434, farmallb, Robert Crandall, Otto Skorzeny),
340
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,180 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 892 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 892 | I have a similar setup on my 1-ton and it has worked well for 30 odd years. Back in the day I lived with a friend who was hauling water from the town well with his 3100 when his well went dry. That had lots of additional spring leaves. He had a clean 325 gal oil tank in the back. After a couple of weeks of this the frame cracked between the spring hangers. So we began using my 3800. I added a couple of leaves from the bone yard to the overloads for that job. If they're too stiff you can take a leaf out or if too weak add a leaf. I've been doing that for decades as load requirements changed with no problems other than that I shook a camper apart before I came to my senses and removed a couple of leaves. It was far easier to do that than fix the camper, which took a couple of weeks with glue and a table saw.
The 1-T frame is heavier so I have had no problem with any twisting or flexing but the auxiliary springs were an RPO option on 3800s and were not on 3600s according to my spec book for '51. There was probably a reason. 1951 3800 1-ton"Earning its keep from the get-go"In the DITY Gallery1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971. | | |
| |
| |