| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (cmayna, Gray_Ghost),
168
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,114 Posts1,056,613 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 892 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 892 | I have been down this path and screwed around with old wiper motors and vacuum pumps until I was blue in the face. The little bakelite parts in the motor distort over the years and it they're too distorted you can't file them flat. A good vacuum pump should give you whatever the manifold vacuum is plus whatever the pump can add. At idle it should be like 15 inches or so. There is a spec for what it should be when disconnected from the manifold, 8-10 in Hg @ 25mph according to the Chevrolet truck service manual for 1948-51. So climbing a hill at 30 mph and like 2-4 in. manifold vacuum the wipers should still work.
The problem with the repop pumps is that not only are they expensive but they begin to suck oil after a few thousand miles. I went through two of them before I gave up. I bought the electric wiper kit and never looked back. Absent the electric wiper you can fit a vacuum tank somewhere with a check valve between it and the manifold. I saved one off an old Studebaker but traded it off at some point. I was able to get an NOS vacuum/fuel pump for the Studebaker and drove it without problem for many years in rainy Seattle. So when in good conditions the vacuum system works pretty well. 1951 3800 1-ton"Earning its keep from the get-go"In the DITY Gallery1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971. | | |
| |
| |