It's common for modern gasoline to evaporate out of the float bowl as our older vehicles sit for a while. I have that issue with both my '38 and my '53. I took steps to remedy that with the '53. This is what I did. I bought a 6v, low pressure, electric fuel pump and installed it per the attached schematic I created. There are in-line pumps that are supposed to allow the mechanical pump to pull gas through them when they aren't being used. The pump I bought had more resistance to the passage of air as I tried blowing through than I was comfortable with it so I set mine up in a bypass circuit. The pump is connected via a momentary switch hanging under the dash, below the ignition switch and wired to be hot only when the ignition switch is on. My '53 has an existing in-line filter just outside the tank which is represented in the schematic. When the momentary switch is activated, the electric pump sends fuel through the mechanical pump, to the carburetor, refilling the float bowl. It is prevented from entering a feedback loop by a one way valve installed just ahead of the existing filter. When the engine starts and is running the fuel, pulled by the mechanical pump, takes the path of least resistance which is through the filter and one way valve. I used 5/16" line and fittings. The line I used is ethanol resistant, high pressure rubber fuel hose. The first test was this morning's cold start and it works as planned. Hopefully the days of long cranking times and/or hand priming the carb are over.
Attachments
FuelPumpLayout.jpg (49.86 KB, 130 downloads)

Last edited by Tiny; 07/25/2019 3:51 PM.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.