running without the covers on the clutch area will allow a piece of gravel or anything else bouncing along the road to possibly get up in there.... I know, that is very unlikely but, it is even less unlikely with the covers on there.

Also, if you are rolling around under your truck with it running, you could get fingers or clothing sucked in there with out the covers on.

That said, I got the bottom one off on my 58, and could not get it to slide back in (trans mounts have deteriorated and settled, or the front of the engine is too low, I think) anyway, I have been running it for a couple years without it back on.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof