Over many years, I've had good luck with Interstate batteries. I started using them when I was working on BMWs and Mercedes more that 20 years ago, and they had a nice "European" selection that included the required vent hose fitting. More recently, I've had so-so luck with the Interstate products (typically 4 year life in TX heat), perhaps due to changes in manufacturing sources, but I don't know.

The batteries at the auto stores can be a bit of a crap shoot. Only some are made in the US any longer, FWIW. Quality control seems to be the issue since some of the offshore built batteries are OK, and some are weak right out of the store. Problem is, it's hard to tell what you are getting from the auto parts stores these days. So I tend to stick with Interstate, if I can't find a DEKA....

My go-to, when I can find them, are batteries made by East Penn Manufacturing, specifically their DEKA batteries. The DEKAs are rebranded to a number of stores. For example, some NAPA-branded batteries are made by DEKA, but the only way to tell is to look at their online Safety Data Sheet. It will say East Penn or DEKA on the SDS, if it's one of their batteries. There are a few DEKA dealers scattered around, that you can find here: DEKA Batteries - Dealer Locator. Their online catalog also cross references to other makes, here: 1937-2019 DEKA Car-Truck Battery Online Catalog. Lot's of top-post battery options.

I did a quick look at the AutoZone Duralast Gold that was mentioned, and at least a couple (a common Group 24, for example) are made by Johnson Controls, another one of the last US onshore manufacturers. I've not used the Duralast, but the manufacturing source is encouraging. With the newer AGM batteries, many folks on a new truck forum I frequent rave about the Odyssey batteries. But they are $$$$, and I'm too cheap to go there....

I know you are asking about 12V batteries in a general sense, but for others who may be looking for a 12V battery that fits where a Group 1 6V battery was OE, the Group 35 12V is close in dimensions. NAPA PN 7535 and 8435 are both Group 35 and appear to be rebranded DEKA batteries. The 8435 is apparently the same as the DEKA 735MF.

Finally, way off the original question, for those who may be looking for a good Group 1 6V battery, the NAPA "Commercial" PN 7244 is a rebranded DEKA 901MF. I have been running one of the NAPA 7244s for about 2 years in my '53, without issue. I do keep it on a battery tender, since its use is relatively infrequent.

Last edited by drdoug; 04/09/2019 9:29 PM.

1947 2nd-Series GMC FC152 3/4-ton
Follow the story in the DITY

1953 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe Powerglide