Originally Posted by bartamos
It may be better to help them fix what they have, what they want to use. It's easy (I am guilty at times) to say, "just switch to something else".
At times it's better to switch if you can't fix it.
I realize the vilification in this case are the B models (284). It represents a small section of all the Rochester carbs. It just so happens, on this site, our motors used a lot of them. I don't think the pros hate the whole line of Rochesters. I can not dispute the many who say the YF is fool proof. I think CarbKing Jon just likes them because they don't need a tag wink

To hark back to the backfiring issue, I still don't think the carburetor is the root problem, but since the discussion seems to have devolved into comments about helping fix the Rochester B and BC models that people are using let me hark back a few months.

All the work I did late summer/fall of 2018 was to help anyone inclined to do their own work to see and understand more about why I believe their carburetors AREN'T working better. I've kept an open mind and haven't dwelt on all the negatives but even with a very open mind I think anyone will come to decide these are examples of myopic engineering and possibly worse than that most of them have gone through the "rebuilder's parts mixmaster" enough times by now that they're mutts at best. Little Frankencarburetors. Does anyone remember that one of the carbs I opened up was missing the pick-up tube? I suspect some rebuilder knocked it off, but it should be obvious the thing never worked right again. At least until I showed how to make a new one. An example of "professional rebuilding" and how you want to spend your money? Well, it was an example of something.

The project is still ongoing, but stalled until spring. Even though I have some doubts about whether these can successfully be used with ethanol gas, I'm still keeping an open mind and still looking for answers, alterations, anything that might help. But I gotta tell you I'm starting to feel like a neighbor we had who told the same old joke time after time after time.



~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end