Looks like I am about to "inherit" a new big bolt. My uncle has given me my grandfather's old grain truck as he is settling up and cleaning up the estate. I'm currently unsure of clear title but knowing my grandpa and my uncle, there will likely be no difficulty in obtaining or finding documentation for clear title.
Background...a 1965 2 ton truck, started life as a Falstaff beer delivery truck. Once retired from delivering libations, the bed was changed to a grain bed. I remember riding in it as a very small kid, but I am hoping that the grain bed has easily removable grain sides so that I can utilize it as a seed delivery truck, as I sell Pioneer seed as a business. It would provide a flatbed option for delivery. It would be an interesting and nostalgic delivery for customers. I just need for it to become dependable. I need to get over to my grandpa's farm and figure out what it will take to get it moved as well as getting numbers so I can confirm engine/year/more information.
Besides the obvious change the oil, points/condenser, battery, master and wheel cylinders to get it loaded on the trailer. I just want to make sure in this process that I don't make more of a mess and create more work for myself. Any other "watch-outs"? I'm going to try and get it from the spot in the barn to my trailer and back off again without any issues. After that, I guess we will just go from there. I'm sure I will find more than one rat's nest, figuratively and literally, as I get it cleaned up.
I drove a GMC 1963 in high school, so I have a strong nostalgia for this year model truck. I still have the 63 and it is in the queue for the next overhaul. Hoping I can get the 305 V6 back to humming like it did in the day. And for the price of free, hard to pass up the opportunity, because the alternative may be a scrapper. And I definitely don't want that.
I guess I'm just posting to see if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions that I haven't already thought about. I am not planning on a frame off like the one I am doing on my 49, just a clean up and give it a "Midas touch" paintjob with some tractor paint from TSC. My primary focus will be on making it mechanically sound and dependable as a delivery truck for in-season use.
I think it has a two-speed rear end, which I have zero experience with both use and function.