Hi Fred
I was thinking along the same lines about the white gear in place here. I was told by the previous owner that the ratio was 3.90 on the rear end. My first approach was to put a new white gear in place and hopefully get it working with the adapter in place and drive some measured (GPS) miles to see if the odometer is correct or off as well. From my memory, the odometer is directly driven form the cable, whereas the speedo needle is coupled to odometer. It appears I have some options if the white gear is not correct, including removing the adapter - First things first though - Gotta get her working again. Perhaps the ultimate solution is to remove the adapter and find a colored gear that is as close to 19 teeth as possible - I have the adapter apart (clean and re-grease) and will try to figure out its ratio as well
I am hoping that the drive gear is not plastic and the weak link in this system is the plastic driven gear - If the drive gear is damaged, I am in for a much more painful fix I believe and that is out of my scope of talent/experience