We bought Rusty, our 1953 Chevy 3100 five window in July 2017. I had no intention of buying one but have always loved the body style.

My wife and I were helping my son build a fence at his house in Dallas, Oregon and I, being over 65, needed to take a short break. While I was resting, I checked out our local Craigslist in the car section. A 1953 Chevrolet had just popped up moments before for a really great price. I got excited but hated to mention it to my wife as my old car experience has been pushed to the limit over the years.

I did anyway and she said to my surprise “Let's go look.” I called, (first caller) and asked to look.

The truck was about 50 miles away in Junction City, Oregon and when I asked for directions, he said “I’ll meet you half way.” Wow, he had confidence in this truck.

We met in Corvallis and I took it for a drive and negotiated the purchase while I drove. I should have asked my wife first but I could tell she liked it, too.

Instead of following him clear back to Junction City, we left the truck in Corvallis and we drove him home and got the title.

Then I got the pleasure of driving Rusty home through the mowed hay fields and wine country.

In the past year I have changed both cowls, the right rocker, both inside kick panels, front be panel and much much more. I have it back on the road now primed and I am using the braille system for small dents before I paint it.

Lots of pleasure and work ahead. I look forward to it.

Don Thompson
Attachments
Don Thompson 1953 5-window.png (779.46 KB, 21 downloads)
On the way home
don t 1953 Chevy 5-window.png (1.05 MB, 21 downloads)


Last edited by Peggy M; 10/22/2023 12:47 AM.

1953 Chevy 3100 5-window - Rusty
"Serendipity"
Story in the DITY Gallery
Retired Police officer | Vietnam Vet. | Blacksmith