My 1 ton GMC will go 200-250 miles on a tank, though I haven't run out to know just how far it'll go. Cary an extra gallon in the bed for when I do find out...
The 1 ton Chevy I took on long trips with an additional three 5 gallon steel gas cans in the bed. One stretch of road (not highway) in and around Nevada I recall needing all three to get me to the next gas station, frequently I'd use one can between stops.
The 48 models had different rear cab mounts and no tank in the cab. The 48 pickups had a tank inside the frame behind the cab, right side. Stake trucks had similar (or same?) tank outside the frame, same location.
So, if you have a later truck with tank in the cab then the easy/factory dual tank solution is also install the 1948 model tank on the frame.
In the GMC I plan to have dual tanks, either gravity feed the upper tank with a larger fuel line into the lower tank (no filler neck on lower tank), combine the vents, draw fuel from the lower. This would be slow to fill I think, but simpler to operate, no valves except a shutoff between tanks, it'd act as one large tank.
Or more likely I'll have a 3 way selector valve and operate two separate tanks each with their own fuel lines and filler necks.
Probably use an aftermarket ~30 gallon tank behind the rear axle.
Grigg