I just came in from reinstalling the steering wheel and replacing the coupling on the worm gear. While I had it apart I adjusted the worm gear preload and the sector lash; as a result I now have a woderfully rejuvinated steering box and the loose steering i was experiencing is now history. Now, to answer in order of posting... Bartamos.the age is being shown in the rubber seals of the draglink (they are totally shredded and any grease l lube the ends with is exposed to road grit and weather so excessive wear is inevitable. The age of the pitman arm is apparent in that no matter how hard I try, with a pitman arm removal tool, I cant get it to budge. I am reluctant to use a torch to heat it because I do not have a replacement for it. The reason I want to remove it is to replace the sector shaft seal.
The drag link is 1' solid steel; I do not know what DOM tubing is, but the use of tubing to replace solid steel in a steering system worries me. I would appreciate more info about that. Don't misunderstand me, I am not saying you are wrong, I just am not familiar with the material. If a link can be fabricated, I would be interested in a PM abou having that done.